PRIORITIES AS FIRST SELECTMAN:
Improve Communication to Improve Transparency
Involves both listening and responding to the concerns of residents and local businesses as well as sending newsletters regularly, which is done by First Selectman across Fairfield County.
From day one, residents will see greater transparency on town initiatives.
Maintain Excellence of New Canaan Public Schools
Continue to provide resources to maintain our top-notch schools. My experience as former BOE Chair allows greater insights into education process, costs, and opportunities for collaboration.
Promote Fiscal Responsibility and Economic Development
Leverage my professional and volunteer experience as Board Chair of NCPS in budgeting and town oversight to ensure financial controls are in place to properly manage projects, avoid cost overruns, manage bonding levels and mill rate increases.
Build Community Engagement and Leverage Local Expertise
New Canaan is blessed to have residents with diverse backgrounds and expertise that are willing to share their time and talents as volunteers for our community. Let’s use that. Support efforts of the revived Utilities Commission to address cell coverage – with NO future cell towers at schools.
Affordable Housing Strategy
New Canaan has long supported affordable development, yet New Canaan’s past efforts have not been championed. I will publicize the town’s progress and advocate with state officials and partner with the newly formed Affordable Housing Committee to find solutions that work for New Canaan.
Civility, Teamwork and Collaboration
Town employees, committee/board members and residents deserve a productive and collegial environment in their municipal offices where all points of view are considered. Maintain excellence of Public Safety and Public Works Department while encouraging strategic planning to prioritize capital projects.
ELECTED MEMBER OF BOARD OF EDUCATION (2013-2021) AND BOARD CHAIR (2015-2018)
- Resources Committee Chair (Finance and Budget Committee) and Policy Committee
- Supported Solar and CHP Cost-Saving Initiatives
- Negotiation Team for Teacher’s Union & Bus Contracts
- Testified against Regionalization at Legislative Public Hearing in Hartford
- Member of Superintendent and Manager of Finance & Operations Search Committees
DEPTH OF LOCAL EXPERIENCE & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- Senior Deacon, New Canaan Congregational Church
- Vice Regent, Hannah Benedict Carter Chapter, DAR
- President, Chi Omega House Corporation Board, Sacred Heart University
- Former Board Member, United Way
- Former Treasurer, Young Women’s League
- Former Member, Republican Town Committee
- Former Board Member, West School PTC, Before & After School Programs
- Former BOE Representative, Saxe PTC
- Former Gala Co-Chair, Stepping Stones Museum for Children
- Former Member, National Charity League, Grade Level Advisor, Liaison to VFW
PERSONAL, EDUCATION AND CAREER
- 27-year resident of New Canaan
- Married to David with three grown children
- University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, B.S. Finance, High Honors
- Graduate, Financial Management Program, GE Capital
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Charterholder, 1999—2009
- Held variety of financial roles with GE Capital businesses (Stamford, CT) including Commercial Real Estate, Small Business Lending, and Commercial Finance
- Assistant Portfolio Manager and High Yield Securities Analyst, Muzinich and Co. (NYC)